Saturday, March 22, 2014

Hair Smoothie

This weather has taken a toll on my hair. So, I searched the internet for at home hair therapy recipes.

I started with a banana, oil and honey recipe. Besides that bananas smell yummy, they prevent breakage and split ends. (Perfect!) Oil, preferably EVO or coconut oil, nourishes damaged hair. The oil will add moisture and smooth hair. Honey also provides moisture to the hair and locks in the moisture.

I used half of a banana, 1/4 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of oil. I blended the ingredients in my bullet and applied it on dry (day 2-3) hair over the sink - it gets messy. I put a plastic bag over my head and I left it in my hair for about 20-30 mins. Then, I washed it with shampoo and conditioner.

This recipe can also be used as a moisturizing, skin renewing body scrub if you add sugar!

As I continued my hair mask search I found a lot of sites with egg or mayo deep conditioners. Eggs are packed with protein and fats. The egg whites contain bacteria eating enzymes which remove unwanted oils. The yolk will help add moisture to your hair. You can use the whole egg to condition your hair or just the egg whites to get rid of the oils.

I tried the same recipe with one  banana, less oil and two eggs. You have to remember when washing your hair to use cold water to prevent the egg from cooking in your hair. I liked this recipe much better.

My scalp has been really itchy and dry this winter. Lemon juice helps get rid of all the loose skin and flakes. Combine the juice with oil to bring moisture back to your scalp.  If your scalp is dry this time of year too, this is perfect for restoring the damage. (You can skip the hair mask and massage oil and lemon into your scalp, and wash it out.)

Avocado is great for preventing frizz. Avocado provides nutrients that will smooth your hair out. Pair the avocado with a moisturizing ingredient for smooth, healthy hair.

For my most recent hair smoothie I used one whole avocado, two bananas, 1/4 cup of honey, 1 tablespoon of oil, and half of a lemon (juice).  (I didn't use the eggs, but I am planning to for next time.)



Blend all the ingredients and pour it into bowl. Apply over a sink (you will thank me), and wrap hair in plastic wrap, or use a plastic bag/shower cap, to trap the heat. Leave it for 30 mins and wash hair with shampoo and conditioner. (Don't skip washing your hair out!)


I try to use hair masks about every two weeks.

Hope this works. I am sure I will have a new recipe in a few weeks. But, as of right now this is it! 

Happy Saturday! 

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment