Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Eczema and Skin Care

Happy New Year! Hope you are holding on strong to your New Year Resolutions! 

With the new year I had a pretty bad eczema outbreak. During the winter months and the summer months my skin is extremely sensitive. If you are going through the same thing the most important tip I have for you is don't SCRATCH! I know it's SO hard. Other valuable tips...

Take quick cold showers or baths. No more than 20 minutes. Never use hot water. Sometimes when I first get into the shower I use hot water to warm myself up but then I turn it down. Lukewarm water is best. 

The type of soap you use can also cause/prevent eczema breakouts. It is recommended that if you have eczema you should use fragrance free soap that is also moisturizing. Personally Dove works just fine. 

After the shower don't immediately dry yourself. I put a thin layer of baby oil while I'm still standing in the shower and my body is wet. I wait for my body to absorb it. Depending on the condition of my skin, I will then put a thin layer of petroleum jelly over my whole body or just the most troubled areas...in my case it's my arms. I rub it on and let it set. 

In addition, I use Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisterizing Cream throughout the day. It doesn't have a strong smell but it does smell like oats. I use the cream mostly when I'm itchy or I notice that my skin is looking dry. Lubriderm Advanced Therapy and Nivea are also my go to. I use those mostly when my skin is healed.  They don't help with the itch but I find they are moisturizing. 

I have used two medications that have worked and showed quick results. I think the first thing you should do once your eczema has gotten out of hand or as soon as you start to feel the itch is to put on medication. I was prescribed Traimcinolone Acetonide Ointment by a dermatologist. It is a steroid! So, if it is not prescribed to you then I suggest you don't use it. An over the counter medication that I found helpful was Hydrocortisone Cream. Aveeno has a brand and Cortizone is another popular brand. I just bought the Walgreens brand and it worked just fine. Specifically I bought the one that says it has 12 moisturizers and it doubles as an anti-itch cream. 

Sometimes the material of our clothes can irritate our skin. 100% cotton is advised. It makes a different!  I also found it helpful to wear short sleeves. It may be too cold during the winter day but at night I try to allow my skin to breathe. 

Overall it's important to keep your skin moisturized! Put on lotion after washing your hands, and don't forget about moisturizing your face. 

Did I say DON'T scratch! It only makes it worse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment